Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Tortellini Soup (super easy)

I went to a mom lunch today with some friends and brought the soup.  Since I have been dying to make tortellini soup, but know no one in my house will eat it with me, that's what I made.  I looked at some recipes online, found one I liked, and tweaked it a bit.  It was a huge hit! I think I ate four servings myself...

Here's what I did:
  • Bring 8 cups of chicken broth to a boil.  
  • Add 12 oz. package dried tortellini (I used the three cheese variety from Trader Joe's), reduce heat, and cook until just barely tender (about 12 minutes but you'll want to check because it will cook more with the other ingredients, and overcooked tortellini is kinda gross).  
{ALTERNATIVE METHOD: Use refrigerated or frozen tortellini in only 4 cups of boiling chicken broth. It will cut down the cooking time a little bit.}
  • Add:
    • 1 can of diced tomatoes, undrained
    • 1 can of cannelloni or Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
    • 1 large handful of baby spinach
    • 1 heaping teaspoon of dried basil
    • 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
    • black pepper to taste (I used about 1/4 teaspoon, I think)
  • Stir thoroughly to combine.
  • Simmer until all ingredients are heated through, spinach is slightly wilted, and tortellini is tender.
  • Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese (optional) and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment