Friday, January 14, 2011

Skull & Crossbones Skater Scarf

My 8-year-old is a skater wanna-be and thinks skulls and crossbones are pretty awesome. For Christmas, I made him this scarf. It was pretty easy and, for the most part, turned out the way I had planned, but let me tell you what I learned: detailed sewing on fleece is not easy. I had a hard time getting the cut out parts to keep their shape, and those eye and nose cavities drove me nuts! See how they're lopsided? Oh, well. I finally just sewed each of the eyes on with an "X" and called it good. Next time, I think I will try using Heat & Bond. Has anyone tried that on fleece? I'd love to hear any other ideas for getting those pieces to stay while I sew them on.
Even though it's not perfect, I think it was a successful experiment and now know what not to do when I make 3 more this weekend for his friends' birthday presents.

To make your own skull scarf:
  • Cut 2 pieces of fleece, each in different colors (one for the back, one for the front), to the size you want your scarf. I used one I already had as a guide.
  • Find a picture of a skull with crossbones you like. Size it to fit on your scarf, print it and cut it out. The one I used can be found here.
  • REVISION: added step- Iron on some fusible interfacing behind the parts you want to cut out.  This makes sewing around the shapes much easier.
  • Trace the pieces onto your top piece of fleece near one end of the scarf and cut them out.
  • Cut out the nose and eye pieces. (Mine aren't the right size or shape. I'll do better next time.)
  • Pin your top piece of fleece to the bottom piece, iron the area with the fusible interfacing sandwiched between, and sew all the way around the edges using at least 1/4 inch allowance.
  • This is the tricky part: arrange and pin the cut-out skull and crossbones and carefully sew them down as close to the edge as possible.
  • This is the trickier part and why I think I iron-fused the parts the next time: tack the eyes and nose down and carefully sew them down as close to the edge as possible...and then you're done!




No comments:

Post a Comment