Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Valentines

I love candy, make no mistake. I'm just not a fan of my children coming home with bags full of it every time a holiday rolls around, and I suspect many other parents feel the same way. So, to do my part, I try to find candy-free alternatives for birthday treats (glow bracelets), Halloween (glow sticks and pencils), Christmas (Silly Bandz), etc. For Valentine's Day, we did silly straws and pencils. I picked up the supplies for 46 kids at the Dollar Tree for a whopping $6 and put everything together during an episode of Psych after the kids went to bed. (Normally, I would have them help but I've been swamped with homework and a sick kid this week.)

It's super easy. I typed out the messages on a 4x6 cell table on Word, cut them apart, punched a hole in the top and bottom of each Valentine, and stuck the straw through.

With the pencils, though, I had to make 3 notches in each hole to make it big enough to slide the pencil through. A larger hole punch would have been helpful. Oh, well. They still turned out cute, right?

I hope you all had a fantastic, romantic, sweet Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment