Friday, May 20, 2011

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

I love, love, love hummus! It's so yummy and healthy and versatile! I usually stick with my favorite tried and true basic recipe mentioned here, but I tried roasted red pepper hummus from Trader Joe's the other day and found a new love. I knew it had to be easy to recreate, so I went in search of a recipe and found this. So simple, so delicious.

Here's what you need:
  • 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained (I actually reserved 1/4 cups of the juice and added that to the mix)
  • 1 (4 ounce) jar roasted red peppers ( I got mine at Trader Joe's but you can probably find them at any grocery store by the olives and stuff)
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini (This is sesame seed paste. It can be tricky to find and a bit spendy, but it so totally worth it. It is usually with the Indian or Greek foods, but can sometimes be found by the peanut butter or olives. Weird, I know.)
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I didn't have any, so I used 1/4 t. black pepper)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley ( I skipped this)

Blend everything up in an electric blender or food processor until super smooth. Hummus can be refrigerated for 3 days, or frozen for a month. It is best served at room temperature, but I eat mine straight out of the fridge all the time. This would be great as a dip for crackers, pita chips, veggies, or as a spread on pita bread or a sandwich or wrap. I put mine on focaccia bread and made that my lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment