Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Proof that I'm a good mom

I HATE SHOTS.  Until last year, I had never had a flu shot.  I thought it would be better to have to lie around for a few days than to voluntarily get stabbed in the arm.  Then I got the flu.  SO not fun.  The next year, I happened to be at the doctor's office at the start of flu season and she asked if I'd like the shot.  I thought about it for a minute and then politely declined.  She politely explained that it would not only be in my best interest, but the best interest of my asthmatic children (even though they get vaccinated whether they like it or not) and everyone else around me.  I said no.  She said yes.  I said I didn't want it.  She said I wasn't leaving without it.  I got the shot but demanded a really cool band-aid.  They didn't have really cool band-aids for grown-ups.

This year, I had to take all three of my boys with me to get my oldest checked for strep.  While we were there, I figured the monkeys should get their shots.  I also decided I would be brave and get one too (even though there wasn't a bossy doctor around to make me do it) but secretly hoped they would run out when it was my turn and I'd have to get the mist kind.  My 4-year-old got his first and totally freaked out.  My 2-year-old looked terrified so I said, "It's OK.  Look.  Mommy will go next and you can see that it's alright.  K?"  He looked skeptical.  The nurse came over with the freaking huge needle and started wiping my arm in preparation for the jab.  I turned my head, gritted my teeth, and took it like a mom.  No flinching, no screaming, no crying.  I just smiled and said, "See monkey?  I'm OK!  It's all done!  No more hurts."  I don't think he believed me.

I could have had the flu mist, but that would have been cheating.  See?  I'm a good mom.  (And I still didn't even get a really cool band-aid.)

1 comment:

  1. I got my kids their shots, but I didn't get one. I'm not that good! :)

    ReplyDelete