Friday, August 26, 2011

Halloween Costumes- Part I

I was inspired by Brittney's post about Halloween costumes (yes, Halloween is coming!) and it got me thinking about some of the costumes I've made. It's super easy to make adorable costumes with limited supplies and a tight budget. The Dollar Tree is fabulous for picking up accessories and props, and I get most of my fabric from clearance bins and repurposed clothing. You don't even have to have mad sewing skills! I use my handy hot glue gun a lot, and straight stitches for most seams requiring a machine. I hate hand-sewing, so I save that as a last resort. If I can do it, so can you.

My first baby's first costume, made from a repurposed orange towel and yellow yarn. Isn't he the cutest lion you've ever seen?
Ahoy there, matey! This costume was assembled with items from his everyday wardrobe, a hat and sword from the dollar store, and strips of fabric from his daddy's old red t-shirt.
This was actually from my son's birthday party, but it's close to Halloween. =)
I got the bandanas and hats from Oriental Trading Company. We also had train whistles for the little train fanatics.
My mom really made this Indian costume with no-fray fabric and fleece, but I had to include it because it is so cute and simple to make.
She traced a t-shirt to get the shape and size for the vest, cut out out 2 pieces (without the sleeves, of course), cut up the middle of the front and sewed the fleece fringe across the chest before sewing the sides and tops together.
The pants were made by tracing a pair of already made pants, cutting 2 pieces, sewing the sides together (with fleece fringe sandwiched in there), and folding over the top to make a casing for elastic.
Easy peasy.

Stay tuned for part II...

No comments:

Post a Comment